Smoked Pickled Onion Coleslaw
This no mayo coleslaw is made with smoked pickled onions and is fantastic loaded onto pulled pork or chicken sandwiches or as a great side dish for your next backyard BBQ. Fresh and completely mayo free!
Servings 6 people
For the Smoked Pickled Onions
- ½ red onion sliced
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
For the Coleslaw
- 3 cups green cabbage, sliced thin using a mandolin (or sharp knife)
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thin using a mandolin (or sharp knife)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper (or 4 turns from a grinder)
- 1 tablespoon reserved liquid from the smoked pickled onions, start with 1 tablespoon and adjust from there
To Make the Smoked Pickled Onions
Pre-heat smoker to 225 degrees
In a glass baking dish, add apple cider vinegar, sugar, and sliced onions. The vinegar may not completely cover the onions, that is ok, we’ll be stirring.
Place dish uncovered in the smoker for two hours, stir once or twice.
Remove from smoker, drain and reserve the pickling liquid, and then set aside onions.
To make the Coleslaw
Shred cabbage using mandolin or large cheese grader. Do the same for your carrots. (alternatively you can used a pre shredded mix)
In large bowl add sliced red cabbage, yellow cabbage, carrots, onions, chopped cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, and smoked apple cider vinegar and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings to preference.
Serve with your favorite pulled pork or chicken recipes or as a side dish at your next summer gathering.