Green Chili Turkey Recipe
This can be a great use for leftover turkey, or as a main meal. Serve over rice or as a filling for tacos or burritos.
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, sliced or 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 medium sized green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour, all purpose or gluten free AP mix
- 1 ½ cups water, separated in half
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, or bouillon substitute
- 4 cups of leftover turkey, shredded
- 1 4-ounce can green chilis
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional to add additional heat
In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil to medium heat. Add onions and bell peppers and cook about 5 minutes, just to soften them.
Add garlic, and cook one additional minute.
While the onions and peppers are softening, make the slurry. Mix the two tablespoons of flour with ½ cup of water and shake until the flour is dissolved into the water). Add to the peppers/onion mixture. Add the bouillon now and let it dissolve. Let it simmer until the sauce starts to thicken (about 5 minutes).
Add the remaining 1 cup of water, turkey meat, and green chilies, and mix to combine.
If the sauce is too thick, add more water (or chicken stock) to thin out to a consistency you desire.
Season with the salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
In place of bullion cube you can substitute chicken or turkey stock. Just mix the stock with the flour to make your slurry versus water.
You can also add a couple tablespoons of leftover gravy for added richness and umami flavor.
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 732mg | Potassium: 310mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg