Grilled Chicken with Cherry Chipotle BBQ Glaze
Grilled Chicken finished with a delicious sweet and spicy Cherry Chipotle BBQ Glaze. A great way to use summer cherries and add great flavor to grilled chicken.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 -6 servings
For the Grilled Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, quartered (about 4 lbs)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry rub (see notes for dry rub used)
For the Cherry Chipotle BBQ Glaze
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 2 medium sized oranges)
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can of chipotle in adobo)
- 1 tablespoon sauce from the can of chipotle in adobo
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the Cherry Chipotle Sauce
To Grill the Chicken
Set your grill to direct and indirect cooking.
Coat chicken with olive oil and then season with your dry rub liberally.
Place chicken on direct heat, paying close attention to the flame to get a nice crust, about 1-2 minutes per side. Then flip and repeat to get a nice crust on the other side.
Move to the indirect side. Cover grill and monitor temperature in each piece after 10 minutes. Some pieces will cook faster than others.
When chicken reaches 150 degrees, glaze with your sauce and continue cooking (covered) until the internal temperature of each individual piece reaches 165 degrees (each piece will vary and come off at slightly different times).
Reglaze chicken and let sit for at least 5-10 minutes to let the juices redistribute. Serve.