BBQ Chicken Pizza
An easy Smoked BBQ Chicken Pizza, made with smoked chicken, a blend of cheeses, and our favorite toppings. Perfect for Pizza Night!!!
Servings 4 servings
- Pizza dough your favorite homemade or store-bought dough (enough for one 12" pizza)
- ¼ cup bbq sauce (your favorite homemade or store-bought)
- ¼ cup pizza sauce (or tomato sauce)
- 1 cup smoked chicken, shredded (or the equivalent of other cuts of chicken, shredded)
- ¼ medium red onion, sliced into thin strips (approx ½ cup)
- 1 medium tomato, diced (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup shredded cheese (my favorite combo is ½ cheddar, ½ smoked cheddar, more or less depending on how cheesy you want your pizza)
- ¼ cup feta or mozzarella cheese (or a combination of both)
- Diced cilantro, for garnish
Preheat oven to 475 degrees (see notes for alternative methods), with a pizza stone in the center of the oven.
Slice and prep all of your ingredients in advance and mix the BBQ sauce and tomato sauce in a small bowl.
Roll out the pizza dough to about 12” circle onto a slide-able pizza peel (or onto a round pizza pan).
Layer the dough with the BBQ/pizza sauce mixture, shredded chicken, onion, tomato, and cheeses.
Slide the pizza onto the pizza stone, and cook until the crust is golden brown and toppings are bubbly (about 10-12 minutes).
Top pizza with fresh chopped cilantro, slice, and serve.
This pizza is also fantastic grilled. For instructions on how to grill pizzas, start with a high heat in the grill. Ideally 425 - 450 degrees. As the grill warms up, be sure the pizza stone or steel is on the grill at the same time also heating up.
For a Big Green Egg: We use the convEGGtor plate, the grill grate, and a pizza stone in that order.
For a Kettle Grill, We use a pizza steel, a typical pizza stone can crack over direct heat.
When grilling, place the pizza onto the steel or the pizza stone. After 5 minutes, rotate the pizza 90 degrees. This helps to distribute the heat if any hot spots and make an evenly cooked crust.
Remove the pizza after an additional 5 minutes or the bottom of the crust has a golden color and the cheese is melted.