Bacon Wrapped Dates are an amazing sweet and savory appetizer for a crowd, and can easily be cooked on the grill for even more flavor. Stuffed with goat cheese and topped with a thyme smoked honey, this take on a classic will really wow your guests!
Grilled bacon wrapped dates is the perfect appetizer for any holiday party!
Bacon Wrapped Dates are a favorite at any party. They are a classic. These are bumped up about a thousand notches by grilling the stuffed dates and drizzling them with some smoked honey infused with thyme. Your guests will love the crunchiness of the grilled bacon and the intoxicating smoked honey drizzle.
What Types of Dates
Medjool dates are the best dates to use. They are larger, have a nice sweetness to them, slightly chewy and stand up the the grill really well. So when stuffing them, look for Medjool dates in the produce section of your grocer.
- Pitted – If the dates are already pitted that is fine, just add the filling through either a vertical or horizontal cut depending on how they were pitted.
- Pit – If the dates have a pit, the easiest way to pit a date is to use a paring knife, make a horizontal slice and remove the pit. Then you can stuff using the vertical slice made.
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Dates on the Grill
- Remove the pit from the dates.
- Slice small pieces of the goat cheese in advance in approximately 1 teaspoon pieces and stuff into the date.
- Cut the bacon in two pieces, and ideally use room temperature bacon to make it easier to wrap and let the bacon stay wrapped. This way you won’t need a toothpick to keep the bacon wrapped. Room temp bacon will naturally wrap and create its own “paste” to stick together.
- Place the date on one side of the bacon. Because of the small slice to put the cheese, we add the sliced side down so the bacon encloses the cheese and the slice.
- Make the honey glaze and drizzle half the glaze onto the bacon wrapped dates prior to grilling (this will help infuse the bacon and get it even more crunchy.
- Grill the dates on indirect side of a two zone grill set up. Flip once.
- Remove and place onto a clean sheet pan or your serving dish and drizzle the remainder of the honey glaze onto the dates.
- Serve warm.
How Long Do You Cook Bacon Wrapped Dates
Because we’re grilling the dates versus the oven, the general rule we use is 8 minutes on one side, and then 8 minutes on the other side. Because charcoal or flame will be different, the key is to look at the bacon to make sure it is browning or crisping up.
If needed you can quarter turn the bacon to finish any sides that may seem too raw.
For more holiday party appetizers and ideas check out How to Host a Cocktail Party.
Other Great Appetizer Ideas for the Grill
- Smoked Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- Wine Marinated Beef Skewers with Cranberry Sauce
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri
- Spicy Sriracha Grilled Shrimp
This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link, we may receive a small commission if you purchase through the link. We partner with brands we know and love and use and it helps keep the blog going!
Erin @ Platings and Pairings says
Yum! I never would have thought to grill this appetizer before but it gives the dates such a yummy smoky flavor! What a perfect party appetizer or small bite for game day!
Catherine @ To & Fro Fam says
I love that you put a fresh twist on this super yummy appetizer. It’s such a great idea to grill the bacon-wrapped dates and use smoked honey to pull it all together.