Grilling pineapple on your charcoal or gas grill is an easy way to add flavor to any salad, fruit platter, or delicious side dish for your summer cookouts.
Find out how to make Grilled Pineapple this super easy tutorial.
I cannot stress how easy it is to grill fruit. Lots of fruit. But for the purpose of this tutorial, specifically grilled pineapple.
Simply slicing into rounds or wedges, adding some oil, and then putting over a hot grill grate caramelizes the fruit, giving that extra flavor pop to any dish that calls for pineapple.
How to Slice Pineapple Rings for the Grill
It all starts with the preparation. We’ve learned that the best way to grill a pineapple is to slice it into rings, versus wedges. This will allow more surface area of the rings to get that nice caramelization from the grill.
- Using a sharp chef knife, simply remove the top and bottom portion of the pineapple. Continue to remove the edges of the pineapple, roughly ¼ inch from the outer layer.
- Whether you leave the core is up to you. We like to grill with the core on, making for a more stable grilled pineapple, then remove the core after it comes off.
- The last step is to lay the pineapple sideways and then cut ½ – ¾ inch thick slices. This gives that grilled pineapple ring enough thickness to hold up to the hot fire and maintain the shape.
Keep it simple. We add some extra virgin olive oil, and then a touch of kosher salt. The oil helps prevent sticking on the grill grates, and the salt balances the sweet after the grilling is done.
Using a brush, we apply the oil to the top of the pineapple rings, season with kosher salt. After putting onto the grill, we brush oil the other side and add a slight dusting of salt.
How to Grill Pineapple
- Set your grill for direct cooking.
- When the charcoal or gas grill is hot, place the seasoned slice onto the direct heat. Let cook over direct heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until you see your desired caramelization.
- Flip and cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove and then using a sharp paring knife, remove the core. You can do this on a gas or charcoal grill.
Serving Ideas for Grilled Pineapple
- Use it in this Grilled Pineapple Coleslaw with Citrus Dressing.
- Simply serve on a plate as an appetizer, and let people slice and eat it as they arrive.
- Add some maldon finishing salt and a drizzle of aged balsamic.
- Top with a drizzle of honey.
- Add a slice in your grilled chicken sandwiches.
- Add to Pulled Pork Sliders.
- The ideas are endless!
More Ideas for Seasoning
Marinating is a great idea, starting with some umami flavor like soy, or adding more sugar, like brown sugar. Maybe some rum for rum flavored pineapple. Another option is to mix up a glaze that can be used after you remove the pineapple from the grill. Simply add the glaze as you remove the slices from the heat and serve. A drizzle of honey after grilling is a sweet touch too!
If you like this recipe we’d truly appreciate it if you would give this recipe a star review! And if you share any of your pics on Instagram use the hashtag #vindulge. We LOVE to see it when you cook our recipes.