No Mayo Coleslaw is quick and easy to make and is a versatile side dish for any BBQ or summer gathering. This mayo free coleslaw has a vinegar base instead of the traditional mayonnaise base.
Where does your allegiance lie when it comes to coleslaw? Are you a mayo fan or mayo-free?
Most mayo-haters don’t like it in a coleslaw or other summer salads because of fear of food born issues that may happen from the dish sitting out all day. I don’t know what it is but I just cannot stomach mayo, period. At all. It just leaves my stomach feeling oily and uneasy. For some bizarre reason, I’m okay with homemade aioli sauces (which are similar to mayo), but most store-bought mayonnaise doesn’t do it for me.
And when it comes to coleslaw, those recipes that require heavy amounts of mayo are so rich and oily that they can easily overpower the dishes they are meant to highlight.
No Mayo Coleslaw
This no mayo coleslaw is a perfect solution. It’s light, fresh, crunchy, and tasty (from its two secret ingredients, more on that later). And it’s so stinking simple. And it’s my favorite coleslaw to pair with dishes like pulled pork sandwiches, like these here…
Vinegar Based Coleslaw — A Great Vegetarian Side Dish
This no mayo coleslaw recipe also happens to be vegetarian AND the perfect side dish.
This slaw is crisp, light and fresh, with nice acidity. This is meant to be a simple and light side dish. Something to accompany your favorite summertime barbecued and grilled dishes.
How to Make Coleslaw with No Mayo
This is really the easiest recipe ever. It’s just shredded cabbage and carrots, mixed with some onion, salt and pepper, and our little secret additions — cumin and apple cider vinegar.
Tip: If you’re just making a small amount feel free to buy a pre-packaged coleslaw mix to keep things simple. BUT if you’re cooking for a crowd you get so much more bang for your buck by buying a head of cabbage.
- Start by shredding the cabbage using a mandolin slicer or thin sharp knife.
- *** BUT WORD OF CAUTION!*** Watch those precious fingers when using a sharp device like a mandolin slicer. I learned that the hard way the very first time I used mine (suuuuuch a painful rookie mistake!). Slice carefully, and with caution. That is if you appreciate your fingertips. 😉
- Next mix up the shredded cabbage with some grated carrots and sliced onions.
- Toss together with some apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper, and cumin. (Cumin is a pretty strong flavor, so start small and add more as you taste).
Every single time we make this coleslaw we always have someone look up at us with delight saying, “Wow, I love this slaw. What’s that unique flavor in it?”
It’s cumin, my friend. And that fresh zesty tang you get from the apple cider vinegar. No mayo needed for this coleslaw.
This mayo free coleslaw is truly an awesome side dish for barbecues, parties, and it’s fantastic on top of pulled pork sandwiches or even these amazing pulled lamb sliders.
Other Coleslaw Recipes
- Pulled Pork Sliders with Grilled Pineapple Slaw
- Grilled Pineapple Coleslaw with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Smoked Pickled Onion Slaw
Also a great recipe to add to pulled pork tacos.
No Mayo Coleslaw Recipe
If you like this recipe we’d truly appreciate it if you would give this recipe a star review! And if you share any of your pics on Instagram use the hashtag #vindulge. We LOVE to see it when you cook our recipes.