Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip combines magical flavors of Buffalo wings with shredded smoked chicken and a creamy cheese dip. You’re gonna want to make a double batch because this is THE MOST sought after and quickly devoured appetizer at any party or game day spread!
Buffalo Chicken Dip – The Best Party Appetizer!
This dip starts with a whole chicken, smoked, then shredded and combined with your traditional ingredients for this indulgent party dip. The smoked chicken is going to make it really stand out from any other Buffalo Chicken Dip out there, and it’s truly worth the effort!
We smoke a whole chicken roughly once a week to use throughout the week for tacos, sandwiches, or things like this smoked buffalo chicken dip. So this is easily a step you can do days in advance.
Now of course you don’t have to use a whole smoked chicken. Any shredded chicken will do the trick. But if you’re planning a little in advance, you can fully maximize the perfectly smoky/cheesy/hot-saucy flavors of this dip.
Bonus: The Super Bowl is coming up (aka Buffalo flavored EVERYTHING week), so if you’re brainstorming fun ideas for the big game make sure to consider this. Your guests will love you so much for making it.
A Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe?
Yup! Also, feel free to tell your friends (or keep it a secret) that this is a lightened up version of a Buffalo chicken dip (aka skinny dip!). Most Buffalo dips call for a ton of cream cheese, which I find usually results in a dense and heavy dip. I want something a little brighter and creamier without losing the essence of this dip (the signature Buffalo flavors that come from the Frank’s RedHot hot sauce). This one has a fraction of the usual amount and uses thick Greek yogurt instead. It’s still creamy and indulgent, and I promise you won’t miss those added calories.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
The most important of all ingredients, other than the smoked chicken is the signature Franks RedHot hot sauce. It’s gotta be Franks! That’s the tried and true flavor of “Buffalo-style wings” and what makes this dip so addictive.
- Shredded Smoked Chicken
- Frank’s RedHot hot sauce (No substitutions. It has to be Franks!)
- Cheeses: Light Cream Cheese, Shredded Cheddar, Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Seasonings: garlic powder, celery salt
- Greek yogurt (this will lighten it up a bit)
- Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing
How to Make Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- My preferred way is to start with whole roaster chicken cooked on the smoker for the ultimate flavor. But if you don’t have a whole roaster or if you don’t even have a smoker you can use a store bought rotisserie chicken and shred the meat (note that it won’t have a smoky flavor in this case).
- Alternatively, you can also use quartered up chicken pieces. Just smoke em’ then remove any skin and shred the meat.
- Finally mix the chicken with all other ingredients in a large bowl then spread evenly into a baking dish (I like cast iron), and bake until hot and bubbly.
- Remove and top with fresh chopped green onions and/or chopped cilantro.
- Serve with chips and celery stalks.
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Smoked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3 cups leftover smoked chicken, shredded (you can use a store bought roaster chicken too, but the smoked flavor is unbeatable)
- 4 oz light cream cheese, softened (1/2 package)
- ½ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing (or blue cheese dressing)
- 3/4 cup Frank's RedHot hot sauce (No substitutions. It has to be Frank's!)
- 1 small celery stalk, finely diced (about 1/4 cup)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients (except blue cheese crumbles!) together in a large bowl and transfer into a 9″ (or equivalent size) greased oven safe baking dish or cast iron dish. Top with blue cheese crumbles and place in oven, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the dip starts to bubble.
- Remove and serve warm with chips or celery sticks.
Can I Cook This Dip in the Grill or Smoker?
Absolutely, and we encourage that. Just get your grill up to a similar heat (between 350-400 degrees F) and let it cook until hot and bubbly.
Can I make Buffalo Chicken Dip in Advance?
Why yes’m. Just combine your ingredients into your baking dish and bake when you’re ready. You can even assemble this the night before your party and bake the next day.
This is a great way to do it if you’re tailgating. Prep the dip at home, and bring it to the tailgating party, and place it on the grill (covered in foil) to heat up. In this case make sure you’re using a cast iron dish (or something that can withstand the heat).
- 9 Super Bowl Recipes
- Smoked Chicken
- Smoked Sausage and Hatch Chile Beer Cheese Dip
- Smoked Buffalo Turkey Dip
- Smoked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Smoked Buffalo Chicken Pizza
If you like this recipe we’d truly appreciate it if you would give this recipe a star review! And if you share any of your pics on Instagram use the hashtag #vindulge. We LOVE to see it when you cook our recipes.
*This post was originally published in January of 2015, and updated with new photos and updated content in 2019.