Not your average backyard cookout coleslaw. This mayo-free and allergy free coleslaw is made with smoked pickled onions and is fantastic loaded onto pulled pork or chicken sandwiches or as a great side dish for your next party.
I can’t stand mayo! I know I may be in the minority, but I just can’t do it. The texture, the smell, none of it. Plus it’s no good to have in a salad you wish to have out at a backyard party or picnic on a hot summer day. Because spoilage.
You may remember our Easy Mayo Free Coleslaw recipe from a couple years ago. This one is pretty different, yet similar in that they both require zero mayonnaise… because I just can’t do it! And this one has a special ingredient giving it an incredible WOW factor. Smoked Pickled Onions.
What are Smoked Pickled Onions?
The greatest thing, ever.
I’m a sucker for all things pickled (true story). Pickled everything, including onions. And these are great in this coleslaw.
How to make Smoked Pickled Onions
- Start by slicing onions into thin strips. For this you don’t need any special tool, just a sharp knife and a focused eye (or two).
- Add them to a baking dish (we used a square 8×8 glass dish for the one pictured below). Add some apple cider vinegar and sugar and then place the dish in your smoker, set to 225 degrees, for about 2 hours (tossing once or twice).
- Remove the smoked pickled onions from the smoker, let cool, and then strain the onions (MAKING SURE TO SAVE THE LIQUID!!!). Reserve that delicious liquid vinegar/onion infused smoked goodness for later. It will come in handy!
Next up, prep the rest of your coleslaw ingredients.
How to make coleslaw without Mayo
Instead of going the creamy mayo route, think of other, brighter, more acidic flavors to add enhancing your coleslaw. Think of it more like a vinaigrette vs. a creamy dressing in a salad. We’re brightening up the flavors with apple cider vinegar. And to jazz things up even more, we’re making it with smoked pickled onions, which have so much flavor you don’t even need a dressing!
You can use a pre-bagged coleslaw mix, or save money by slicing it yourself with a sharp knife or mandolin.
CAUTION: Be super duuuuuper careful using a mandolin, my friends! These damn things can cut your finger off! I know, I’ve had a couple accidents that weren’t too pretty! Protect your precious fingers (or ask your husband/wife/partner/friend/mom to do it for you like I did).
Now that you’ve shredded your cabbage, assemble all the rest of your ingredients.
Your suspects involve:
- cabbage (both red and white cabbage)
- cilantro (because it’s delicious and flavorful)
- shredded carrots (for good measure, sweetness, and color)
- smoked pickled onions
Toss together with some of that reserved liquid along with some salt, pepper, and cumin.
What to serve Smoked Pickled Onion Coleslaw with:
- Use as a side dish
- To top pulled pork sandwiches
- Top grilled chicken sandwiches
- Bring to a picnic on a hot summer day (mayo free, baby!!!)
The options are endless! This mayo free, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free — basically completely allergy free –– coleslaw is going to be your BFF this summer. Plus how cool is it that you smoked and pickled your own onions. You are officially a badass!
More BBQ Side Dish Recipes
- Easy Mayo Free Coleslaw
- Grilled Pineapple Coleslaw
- Black Bean Salad
- Grilled and Glazed Carrots
- Skillet Cornbread with Smoked Honey
- Cucumber Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing
Smoked Pickled Onion Coleslaw Recipe
Smoked Pickled Onion Coleslaw
For the Smoked Pickled Onions
- ½ red onion sliced
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
For the Coleslaw
- 3 cups green cabbage, sliced thin using a mandolin (or sharp knife)
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thin using a mandolin (or sharp knife)
- 1 large carrot, shredded (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper (or 4 turns from a grinder)
- 1 tablespoon reserved liquid from the smoked pickled onions, start with 1 tablespoon and adjust from there
To Make the Smoked Pickled Onions
- Pre-heat smoker to 225 degrees
- In a glass baking dish, add apple cider vinegar, sugar, and sliced onions. The vinegar may not completely cover the onions, that is ok, we’ll be stirring.
- Place dish uncovered in the smoker for two hours, stir once or twice.
- Remove from smoker, drain and reserve the pickling liquid, and then set aside onions.
To make the Coleslaw
- Shred cabbage using mandolin or large cheese grader. Do the same for your carrots. (alternatively you can used a pre shredded mix)
- In large bowl add sliced red cabbage, yellow cabbage, carrots, onions, chopped cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, and smoked apple cider vinegar and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings to preference.
- Serve with your favorite pulled pork or chicken recipes or as a side dish at your next summer gathering.
If you like this recipe we’d truly appreciate it if you would give this recipe a star review! And if you share any of your pics on Instagram use the hashtag #vindulge. We LOVE to see it when you cook our recipes.